NYD: Can you tell us a little about your mission to Size Up Glamour?
Sydney’s Closet: At Sydney’s Closet we’re passionate about empowering teens and women to look and feel glam at any size. Our company started when a Mother wanted to take the tears out of shopping for a plus size Prom dress for her curvy teen-age daughter. So we really get it! The whole idea behind Sydney’s Closet is to make shopping for a plus size special occasion dress easy and fun.
NYD: Sydney’s Closet designs everything from Black Tie dresses to Cruise ship frocks. Can you tell us a little about your collections?
Sydney’s Closet: Life is full of celebrations! We design dreamy dresses in just sizes 14 to 40 for all of them: Prom, Wedding, Formal and Cocktail. The Today Show calls us the “The Fairy Godmother of plus size Prom dresses”. That’s because we are the only major Prom designer dedicated exclusively to curvy teens. Our designs are so cool we have skinny girls asking if they come in sizes 2, 4 or 6. Sorry, Sydney’s Closet features only sizes 14 and up! Also be sure to check us out in the February issue of The Oprah magazine and the December issue of Seventeen Prom!
We design frocks that rock in styles sure to fit any Prom personality:
Fairy-tale ball gowns for the Prom princess
Curve-hugging red-carpet formals for the Screen Goddess
Short, sassy styles for the Class Flirt.
Bridal Collection: Brides fall in love with him first then our collection of casual wedding dresses. We design for brides of all ages who say “I Do” at informal, beach, destination, second weddings and renewal of vows. We love using oh-so feminine fabrics like flowing chiffon and pretty lace to create romantic designs that flatter her curves. (They’re also super comfy and pack easy)! ?
Formal Collection: We’re thrilled to dress everyone for the red-carpet moments in their life from the girl next door to celebrities like Gabi Sidibe and Phyllis Smith. You can R.S.V.P in total confidence to any black-tie – or just plain fancy – invitation wearing any of our elegant evening gowns. Sydney’s Closet designs our long formals in luscious fabrics, fabulous colors and prints with glam touches like sweep trains to make a dramatic entrance – and exit!
Cocktail Collection: We’re toasting the success of our newest collection: chic party dresses to wear when sun goes down. Even if you’re not old enough to drink, these short dresses pump up the fun in bold, beautiful colors. Of course, what would a Cocktail Collection be without everyone’s favorite: the Little Black Dress. We design LBDs with sexy, sophisticated looks and modern details.
NYD: What do you think takes a special occasion dress from pretty to wow?
Sydney’s Closet: To get from pretty to wow it’s all about fit, flatter and fashion coming together flawlessly:
- The fit must skim not hug your curves.
- The design of the dress must flatter your curves. Start by knowing your body type and what styles work for your shape.
- The fashion must suit your fashion personality. Know the look you love and stick to it. Skip the temptation to wear fads seen on the runways. You’ll regret it!
NYD: Prom’s just around the corner. What styles are your favorites this year?
- Dazzling look of sequins that shine. So glam!
- Yummy sherbet colors like blueberry and pistachio on ball gowns.
- Updated animal prints done in eye-popping colors straight from a wild jungle.
- White Prom dresses for a super fresh and sophisticated look.
- Chunky mirror stones splashed anywhere for a right-now fashion reflection.
NYD: What trends will you be leading with in next year’s collections?
- Pleated short dresses in solid and print chiffon: hike up the hem for a super sexy look.
- Color blocking: why wear one hue when you can add the graphic drama or two or three!
- Sheer genius: adding bling to illusion netting on the bodice for great glam
NYD: Who are some of your favorite celebrities on the red carpet and why?
- We love Jennifer Hudson for her super sexy look . She’s so confident showing off her great curves.
- We love Jennifer Lopez for being fearless when it comes to experimenting with evening gowns on the red-carpet.
- We love Helen Mirren for her elegance, grace and timeless style.
NYD: What do you think is the most important thing to consider when picking out a special occasion dress?
Sydney’s Closet: Always go with the dress that puts the biggest smile on your face.
NYD: Do you have any style advice for plus-size women?
Sydney’s Closet: Don’t hide under shapeless clothing that covers all things. Play up your figure assets (everyone has them!) and camouflage your figure flaws. Break out of black. Highlight your curves wearing colors that compliment your skin tone and hair.
Learn your body type and stick with styles that flatter your figure. Forget about size. Focus on fit.