If your ends seem to be running away from each other and splitting every which way, don’t think it’s the hot and humid summer days. We’ve had our share of blaming the weather when our hair’s looking less than fresh. While regular trims are a good way to keep hair at its healthiest, it doesn’t always prevent the occasional tangling, snagging and crispy hair that’s anything but smooth? Did you know that heating tools, too-tight pony tails and bobby pins and hair ties can be part of the cause? Here are five ways you may be ruining your hair. Think of this as tough love.
1. It all starts in the shower
Did you know that when your hair is wet or damp, it’s at its very weakest point? The water breaks down the natural hydrogen bonds in the hair. It’s best if you work your conditioner through hair with a paddle brush or wide tooth comb to detangle your hair. Invest in an option that’s intended to be used on wet hair. Remember, always detangle from the ends up.
2. Beware of the towel turban!
Surprisingly, wrapping our wet hair in a towel post-shower can cause the greatest damage. Stop and dry your hair more gingerly. When towel drying hair, squeeze the hair with a towel rather than rubbing and matting hair into a tangled mess.
3. Heat drying fries your hair–but there are ways around that. Cut down on drying time by soaking up excess water. When heat-styling, you need to move fast and use even tension. When using a curling iron, be sure to roll the hair on an angle away from your head so you don’t dent hair with the clamp. Use the straightening iron in smooth passes — there is no need to press hard and pull hair, it only stretches the hair while you bake it, which causes severe damage over time.
4. Why you should shake things up in the hairdo department. When you put tension or stress on the hair you are causing some level of damage. Women mostly put their hair up and anchor it in the same place. Repeating stress in the same place over and over will cause damage. Same goes for bobby pins. When done in the same location on a regular basis, it can cause damage to the hair and stress to your scalp.
5. It’s all about product. Protect your hair with the right products. Hair serum can actually stave off the effects of humidity and heat when styling the hair. Coconut oil is a miracle worker as the lauric acid in it helps for the regrowth and Vitamin E which helps regenerate your hair.